Friday, June 1, 2012

Proud as a Peacock



So here I am once again w/ yet another recycled book project, this time around I've made a beautiful peacock. I created this piece to be sort of a sister to the L project I've already completed. They harmoniously reside on the same wall. :)



Just like my other book projects the main materials needed are book pages. Pages with words are what I used as my background. Using illustrations from the books I cut strips about centimeter wide to use as the border on the canvas. I also used the illustrations to create the feathers on the peacock. I'll break it down step by step in a bit.


MATERIALS:
  • Book pages (with writing and illustrations)
  • Scissors
  • Modge-podge decoupage glue (matte or glossy, your preference)
  • Brush for decoupage glue
  • Sharpie (I used a Sharpie to outline the edges of my feathers to give them more definition)
  • Solid color cardstock (for the peacock body)
  • Small rhinestones (optional)
  • Hot glue gun + glue sticks
STEPS:


1. Use modge podge to glue the book pages for the background.
2. cut centimeter strips of book illustrations for the border, used modge podge to adhere them to the canvas.
3. I cut out illustrations from books for the feathers. I used cardstock to make a pattern for the shape I wanted. Once I had all my shapes cut I used a sharpie to outline them to give them some definition against my background.
4. I created the peacock base (the blue part in the picture) using a dark blue piece of cardstock. instead of using modge podge at this step I used a little hot glue to put this on the canvas.
5. back to the modge podge--- carefully place the feathers on the body of the peacock and glue as you go.
6. Once I had all my paper pieces glued on-- the peacock body, feathers and head feathers--I did a final coating of modge podge on the whole canvas.
7. I'm a gal who loves sparkles so to add some sparkle to my piece i glued a few (maybe 5) rhinestones to the feathers.


VOILA! a lovely peacock I am proud of!

Leslie




No comments:

Post a Comment