Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Library Letters

My latest project involves using pages from children's books to create 4 panels that spell out READ for my school librarian. She's the one I got all the books from so I thought I'd make her something to show my appreciation. I'm really proud of the final product, I think they turned out beautiful!

Supplies:
  • modge podge decoupage glue (glossy or matte, doesn't matter)
  • brush (for decoupage glue)
  • cut up book pages
  • cardstock
  • hot glue gun
  • scissors/exacto-knife type blade
  • 8 x 10 canvas panels

Steps:
  1. Using the modge-podge glue randomly place the book pages on your canvas. While I try to be random about the placement, I still like to make sure that my colors are evenly spread out across the canvas. **For this project I used the book illustrations as my background instead of the words like I have used in my previous projects.
  2. Once the glue has completely dried I cut off any overhanging/excess paper from the canvas using my scissors and my exacto knife.
  3. To create the letters for the panels I drew the letters on regular cardstock paper. Once I had the size I wanted I glued the written book pages onto my cardstock base.
  4. After the glue dried, I trimmed off the excess paper from my cardstock letter. *to add an extra pop of color to your finished produced you can reglue your letter to a colorful piece of cardstock like I did w/ orange paper.
  5. I used hot glue to adhere the letters to the canvas .
  6. As a final touch for my project I put a final coat of the modge podge on top of each panel.
A close-up of one of the letters.

Harry Potter and the creature from the Black Lagoon are keeping my letters company.


VARIATIONS: I think this would be an awesome project for a kids room, spelling out their name would look so cool!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment