Thursday, March 22, 2012

Miscellaneous Material Bookmark

I just can't seem to stop creating things from my collection of almost-thrown-out children's books! I've done an L and I've done earrings, now I'm venturing into bookmark territory because you can never have enough bookmarks! I was looking at my 'lil craft corner in the basement and decided I needed to use up some of my scrapbook paper (which somehow seems to multiply). I found a poem I liked from one of my salvaged library books (the book was called Read Me A Poem) and cut it out. Then I realized that I had one of my bottlecaps leftover and decided to throw that in the mix as well, it's like a smorgasbord of crafting...

Materials Needed:
  • scrapbook paper
  • poem/book page
    • I also think a picture would work really well here and it'd be super cute! a child's artwork or writing of their own would work as well
  • clear contact paper
  • scissors & glue (duh!)
**optional for bottlecap topper:
  • bottlecap
  • book page/picture to go on inside
  • modge podge dimensional magic glue
  • hot glue gun
The Process:
  1. Cut your scrapbook paper to the size you want
  2. Glue picture/poem to your bookmark
  3. Using the same scrapbook paper that I used for my bookmark I created a tab for the bottlecap. I cut a small rectangle, folded it in half and glued it to the bookmark.
  4. Apply the contact paper to create a protective seal for your bookmark.
  5. ** Glue the bottlecap onto the bookmark using the tab you just created. Click HERE for a link to my previous post about how to make the bottlecap portion. If you choose not to add the bottlecap, you can simply skip this step and be done!

Like I said before, I think this project would also work well with a small picture or perhaps some hand-drawn artwork. I think it'd be adorable for a Mother's/Father's Day gift if a child were to create some sort of artwork to turn into a bookmark for one (or both!) of their parents. At my school the 3rd graders wrote winter-ish poems, typed them up and created bookmarks for their parents for Christmas/Hanukkah presents. They turned out so cute!


The finished product!
The book page I used inside the bottlecap doesn't necessarily match the scrapbook paper, but I still like it.




Looks adorbs sticking out of a book.



Seriously, how cute is this?


Have fun!

-Les











No comments:

Post a Comment