Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Gift for a Sentimental Mom

Thist post is about the gift my siblings, sister in law (the lovely Claire), niece (4 months at the time), nephew (5 yrs old) and I (I did all the hard work) made for my mom for Valentine's Day. My mom had been pretty stressed out so I knew that a cheesy yet sentimental gift like this would be perfect for her and would really make her feel special and loved. I originally found the idea on pinterest, i'm pretty sure the pin I found had made it as a Father's Day gift but I figured it could really work for just about any gift-giving holiday.

 
Supplies:
  • canvas
    • the canvas I used was 16x20
  • paint
    • for mine i used acrylics mixed with water
  • thin point Sharpie (used to write quote)
Steps:
  1. ** paint a straight line across the bottom of the canvas, don't go across the whole canvas. I used this as a basis for my tree. **optional. you probably don't need to do this part but I think it serves as a nice base for the painting
  2. paint your tree onto the canvas
  3. now its time to do your handprints. if you are doing several like I did, do a few handprints , let them dry and then do more.
  4. ** To make my gift more sentimental I added a quote I found on a quotations website. Any quotes related to family, love, grandmas/grandpas, mothers/fathers would do. The quote I used was:
"Love is like a tree, it grows of its own accord, it puts down deep roots into our whole being."
           Victor Hugo, Notre-Dame de Paris

My mom absolutely loves this gift! My nephew loves to point out who's handprint is in what color and how much fun we had making it together. It makes her happy and that's all that matters.

Leslie 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment